(If you don’t have 3D glasses, hit play, then the “3D” button at the bottom to turn off 3D!)
In celebration of this ghoulish occasion, today’s post is devoted to the things that spook me. You know those things that are just really really freaky? The kind of ideas that pop into your head and immediately give you shivers down your spine? I do. Creatively, these scary archetypes are a gold mine for anyone trying to tell a spooky story on a dark night.
There is no better day than Halloween to list some of these deliciously spooky ideas. I didn’t come up with them, of course, they’ve always been there…just waiting…being spooky….and hungry for your fear………..
- What if you looked at an inanimate life-like object, then looked away, but when you looked back it had moved? (Think the Weeping Angels from Doctor Who, or a taxidermied owl.)
- What if you were looking in the mirror, and you saw something in your reflection behind you, but when you turned around nothing was there?
- On that note, what if you were looking in the mirror, and you saw your own reflection doing something you weren’t doing?
- What if you saw a friend/family member from behind, and called their name, but when they turned around they had no face?
- What if you took a shortcut through the cemetery on a dark night, and a hand grabbed your ankle?
- What if you were leaning over a dead body (at a wake, at your job at the morgue, after hand to hand combat with the forces of evil) and suddenly it reached out and grabbed you by the throat?
- Similarly, what if a dead body opened its eyes?
- What if Edward Scissorhands had turned evil without warning?
- What if a ventriloquist dummy said something you didn’t make it say?
- Creepy children. ‘Nuff said.
- What if you were in an abandoned house that no one had been in for years and years, and up in the attic, a music box was playing?
- What if you were in an abandoned house that no one had been in for years and years, and up in the attic, a rocking chair was rocking by itself…back and forth…back and forth…back and forth?
Have a safe and happy Halloween everybody. Sleep tight.